Crochet is a super versatile craft. You can experiment with different stitches, techniques and yarns. But you can also use different types of crochet, for example, Tunisian crochet, mosaic crochet or tapestry crochet.
In this post, I will go over one of the most useful stitches I have come across for perfecting your tapestry crochet technique. This is the modified single crochet stitch which combines yarning over and yarning under. It helps keep stitches neatly one on top of the other which makes your tapestry pattern look extra good by improving the definition of your design. If you have ever had trouble with your tapestry design becoming slightly squinted especially when working in the round, then using the modified single crochet stitch is the perfect solution.
If you would like to support my work, please consider purchasing my Hearts Tapestry Crochet Zipper Pouch pattern on either my Etsy or Lovecrafts store. You can find a free version of the pattern on the blog here and my other free Christmas tree tapestry crochet pattern here.
What you will need:
- Yarn of your preference
- Corresponding crochet hook
How to crochet the modified single crochet:
- To make the modified single crochet, first make a row of single crochets.
- Making sure that the chain (CH) is straight, slip stitch (SL ST) into the first CH.
- CH 1 and place a round of single crochets (SCs) all around. SL ST into the first stitch. CH 1.
- On this round, you will start your modified SCs. You will also only place stitches in the back loop.
- To make your first modified SC, put your hook through the back loop. Yarn over and pull through the loop. You should have two loops on your hook.
- The main difference with normal SCs is the next step. Whereas normally you would yarn over and pull through both loops, here you will yarn under to complete the stitch. In other words, simply pull the yarn through with your hook. Your hook should be behind your working yarn, so using the tip of your hook catch the yarn and pull it through the two loops.
- This seems like a very minor change, but it helps keep your stitches aligned across different rounds helping your design come to life.
- Continue in this way along all stitches to build your pattern.
Video tutorial for the modified single crochet:
If you are looking for tapestry crochet patterns, check out the Hearts Tapestry Crochet Zipper Bag Pattern.
Let me know if you found this short tutorial helpful.