If you love texture, you will love this crochet ruffles stitch pattern. It creates a wonderful set of overlapping ruffles for a fun and super squishy look.
I recommend using a thicker yarn; for comparison, for these two swatches below I used a medium worsted weight yarn (on the right, Lion Brand Wool Ease in Grey Heather) and a DK yarn (on the left, Paintbox Acrylic DK in Peach Orange). The thicker yarn will give your piece more volume and it will look more fluffy.
This crochet pattern is perfect for adding some novelty to your work. I highly recommend it especially for home décor projects and statement outfits!
Crochet stitches used for the ruffles pattern:
To make the ruffle crochet pattern, you will need to know how to make the following stitches:
- the half double crochet stitch,
- the double crochet stitch and
- the slip stitch
You can check out my step-by-step tutorials for these three stitches here:
How to crochet the ruffle pattern:
- The pattern repeat is 5+1 chains. For this swatch, I made a total of 21 chains but you can chain (CH) as many as you need for your project, making sure they are in multiples of 5 plus 1.
- Row 1: Place one half-double crochet (HDC) in the second chain from hook. Make a half-double crochet stitch along the rest of your chains. If you made a 21 CH swatch, you should have 20 stitches. CH 1 and turn.
- Row 2: Place HDCs along your work. You should have the same amount of stitches as on Row 1. CH 1 and turn.
- Row 3: *Place one HDC in each of the first 5 stitches.
- Then CH 10. Place 2 double crochets (DC) in the 4th CH from hook.
- Place 3 DCs in each of the remaining 6 CHs. This will create your ruffle.
- Slip stitch (SLST) into the last HDC you worked on.
- Now continue working on your main piece. Repeat from * until you have 5 stitches left. Make 5 HDCs, CH 1 and turn.
- Row 4: Place HDCs along your work making sure that your ruffles are facing the side opposite you. You should have the same number of stitches as before. CH 1 and turn.
- Row 5: Place one HDC in each of the first 3 stitches. *Then CH 10. Place 2 double crochets (DC) in the 4th CH from hook. Place 3 DCs in each of the remaining 6 CHs. This will create your ruffle. Slip stitch (SLST) into the last HDC you worked on. Now continue working on your main piece Place one HDC in the next five stitches. Repeat from * until you have 2 stitches left. Make 2 HDCs, CH 1 and turn.
- To continue, repeat Rows 2-5 until you have reached your desired length.